We do not always make sure that the money we do have is working hard for us.
1. Look at your current account and make sure you are getting a good deal. Could you be getting more interest on your current account and is your overdraft rate competitive
2. Make sure that you are taking advantage of ISA's so that you are not paying unecessary tax on your investments.
3. Make sure that your mortagage rate is a good one - when choosing don't get tied into a company with a great initial rate but a high rate after a few years. Think carefully as to whether you want to pay your mortgage back early and how much money that might save you.
4. Try not to keep too much cash. It isn't secure and isn't earning any interest when it is in your purse. I do not even keep money in my children's money boxes - it goes straight into their trust funds.
5. When paying back debts make sure that you pay back the one with the highest interest rate first. You will pay back less interest in the long term that way.